Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
August 13, 2013
Countdown to Labor Day: 20
The countdown to the start of the 2013 season is under way, as Pitt is 20 days away from its Labor Day opener against Florida State at Heinz Field. Panther-Lair.com is counting down the days until the biggest season opener in recent memory.
Today's number is 20, so we're looking at a variety of 20's.
In Pitt history, 20 is
- The total number of wins Pitt recorded during three years with Arthur St. Ledger Mosse from 1903-05.
- The total points scored in Mosse's first season, 1903, when Pitt went 0-8-1. The team went 10-0 in 1904 and 10-2 in 1905.
- The total number of losses Pitt suffered in 15 seasons under Jock Sutherland from 1924-38.
- The total number of losses Pitt suffered in four seasons under Sutherland's replacement, Charles W. Bowser.
- The total number of losses Pitt suffered in the four-year Paul Hackett era.
- The number of times Pitt has beaten 2013 opponent Notre Dame (in 68 tries).
- The total points Pitt scored in the Panthers' 2005 loss to Louisville and the total points Pitt scored in the Panthers' 2010 win over Louisville.
- The points each team produced in the 1964 Pitt-Miami matchup, the only time those two teams played to a tie in 32 games.
- Pitt's scoring output in a 1960 win at Notre Dame (20-13) and in a 1961 loss to Irish at Pitt Stadium (26-20).
- Points scored by Pitt in its final games against Thiel and Western Reserve, neither of which ever scored a point on the Panthers in seven total games.
- Interceptions thrown by Paul Rickards in 1944 and Dave Halvern in 1968, both of which fall short of the Pitt record for interceptions of 23 which Dan Marino set in 1981 (and tied in 1982).
- Points scored by Pitt in three shutouts against West Virginia over the course of four games from 1937-43.
- Points scored by Pitt in the final edition of the Backyard Brawl, a 21-20 win at WVU in 2011.
- Consecutive 100-yard rushing games by Tony Dorsett from 1975-76, setting a Pitt record.
- Consecutive games with a touchdown pass by Tyler Palko form 2005-06, setting a Pitt record.
Previous entries in the Countdown
Countdown: 21 - A win that signaled a turnaround
Countdown: 22 - Academic achievement
Countdown: 23 - A big game against Florida State
Countdown: 24 - The first-round draft picks
Countdown: 25 - A number with a strong recent history
Countdown: 26 - One of the earliest stars
Countdown: 27 - A 1920's star
Countdown: 28 - History in the making
Countdown: 29 - The fourth national title
Countdown: 30 - A team loaded with NFL players
Countdown: 31 - The fifth national title
Countdown: 32 - The longest winning streak
Countdown: 33 - The best to wear the uniform
Countdown: 34 - The backup to a legend
Countdown: 35 - A brief but superlative career
Countdown: 36 - National championship No. 7
Countdown: 37 - A shared passing record
Countdown: 38 - Sutherland's last year
Countdown: 39 - "Dandy Dick" Cassiano
Countdown: 40 - The unheralded tackling machine
Countdown: 41 - Another versatile mid-century athlete
Countdown: 42 - One of the greatest
Countdown: 43 - Pitt vs. the 2013 opponents
Countdown: 44 - An unfortunate score
Countdown: 45 - The Rhino
Countdown: 46 - The great Bimbo
Countdown: 47 - A huge effort in a tough loss
Countdown: 48 - The highest-scoring game
Countdown: 49 - The sack master
Countdown: 50 - The winningest coach in Pitt history
Countdown: 51 - A kicking record
Countdown: 52 - The link between Goldberg and Dorsett
Countdown: 53 - The legacy of Henry Ford
Countdown: 54 - A "Corny" mid-century quarterback
Countdown: 55 - Pitt makes history
Countdown: 56 - Panthers in the Super Bowl
Countdown: 57 - A unique scoring title
Countdown: 58 - Another Dorsett record
Countdown: 59 - The rare 59-point game
Countdown: 60 - A record that won't be broken
Countdown: 61 - Pitt's longest-running rivalry
Countdown: 62 - The last touchdown against Penn State
Countdown: 63 - The No Bowl Panthers
Countdown: 64 - The most passes in a game
Countdown: 65 - The other 13-9
Countdown: 66 - A local star
Countdown: 67 - One-win seasons
Countdown: 68 - The most prolific receiving game
Countdown: 69 - One of the biggest plays in Pitt history
Countodwn: 70 - The origin of Pitt's nine championships
Countdown: 71 - A good player in a bad era
Countdown: 72 - An All-American who became a dentist
Countdown: 73 - May Day
Countdown: 74 - A "groundwork" season
Countdown: 75 - A successful DL-to-OL move
Countdown: 76 - The 1976 national championship
Countdown: 77 - The last three-sport athletes
Countdown: 78 - An underrated pro
Countdown: 79 - One of the best
Countdown: 80 - The greatest non-championship team in Pitt history
Countdown: 81 - A crushing end to a great season
Countdown: 82 - The dawn of the Foge Era
Countdown: 83 - The most accurate kicker in Pitt history
Countdown: 84 - Pitt in the Pro Bowl
Countdown: 85 - A play that will never be matched
Countdown: 86 - A long but unfulfilled play
Countdown: 87 - The final year of Ironhead
Countdown: 88 - Pitt's All-American tradition
Countdown: 89 - Iron Mike
Countdown: 90 - The four 9-0's
Countdown: 91 - The two longest plays in Pitt history
Countdown: 92 - The senior year of the most productive QB in Pitt history
Countdown: 93 - The only 9-3 season in Pitt history
Countdown: 94 - The statistical oddity of 1994
Countdown: 95 - A relentless player and his dominant season
Countdown: 96 - The biggest win in Pitt history
Countdown: 97 - A dominant current Panther
Countdown: 98 - A transition year
Countdown: 99 - Hugh Green
Countdown: 100 - A look at Pitt in 1913